Friday, December 15, 2017

Last Day

Today is my last day at Citrix.
What shall I say after 7 years, lets compose ourselves, I have a severance package, and some clauses, which pretty much says, "be nice, and we will be nice".
For me , today says, "the wheel turns".
This last year has been more about people and process than about software engineering sadly, although one positive process thing was learning a lot of agile. I tried to learn some Java and Angular this year, but that's another story, and as evidenced today, was pointless.

It's been a good ride though, in the previous 6 years, I learned a new programming language, two actually if you count my rubbish Python, which really is more ropey than snake. I learned about virtualisation, that changing tools can happen many times in a year, and that testing, is not checking!

I learned to drink beer, and that more than a pint of beer does not like me the next day. I know I will meet some ex Citrites in the future, just like I have me many ex Symbianites since those doors closed 8 years ago, so do keep the connection open your end. I am really looking forward to working with software that is a bit closer to real hardware again, and more focused on delivering one thing. I suppose I never really got the hang of working in large companies, Symbian and Citrix for me feel so large and mechanical as places to work, where the daily email barrage is a relentless un-necessary distraction that communicates no true message in the end. I hope, email is a thing we fix in future. Even Slack , fixes nothing in reality. And while in that basket, nor did Skype fix anything. The lesson there, keep your head down, probably my greatest flaw.

Signing out
Z

(Starting a contract position at Displaylink in January, well chuffed.)

1 comment:

Conrad Braam said...

A "sonnet"
7 years. 7 Things I did expect:
Learning loads about the squishy component of the software creation process inside a large company
Hating email even more
Hating the documentation
Getting punched at by a co-worker
Taking all my due holidays would be tight
Forgetting about the workplace at 5pm would be hard
To be doing the hard stuff

7 Things I did not expect:
Unending supply of cakes and of peanuts
Buying champagne and chocolates to say sorry
Getting older mentally and physically
Staying at one company quite so long again
That I would get to work with so many more clever people
The aircon to be so bad
Being ill on my last day, but going to the pub anyway, see you down at the Hind